Sunday, July 29, 2012

Belle de Jour

This is just an odd habit of mine. If there's a prominent director whose work I haven't seen yet, I will find a notable film of theirs and watch it. (This is why I never feel embarrassed when talking about directors.)

One of my latest conquests was Luis Bunuel. I heard of a lot of his films, but had never really set out to see any of them. (I was more or less acquainted with Bunuel from his "appearance" in Midnight in Paris.) I knew I had to see a film of his sooner or later, so I did that.

The film in question is Belle de Jour starring Catherine Deneuve in what many call her best work as an actress. And it's also a doozy of  a film. (What else do you expect when the film opens with the leading lady fantasizing about being beaten and raped?)

Deneuve is a marvel to watch. Like her work in Repulsion, her character's face remains blank throughout regardless of what is said to her. It just leaves you wondering what exactly is running through that mind of hers.

Belle de Jour possesses both class and surrealism, which from what I heard is Bunuel's filmography in a nutshell. Deneuve is alluring both looks-wise and acting-wise. I see why this is an essential among art lovers.

My Rating: *****

3 comments:

  1. I adore this film, it's sensual and mysterious. And Deneuve was quite simply a vision in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful film, easily one of Bunuel's lighter movies - some of his films are quite potent attacks on the upper class and religious, such as the brilliant Exterminating Angel and Viridiana. If you're wondering what Bunuel film to watch next, I'd recommend either of those two. Definitely one of the most intelligent and humorous directors who has ever lived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this movie just a couple months ago for the same reason. It was my first Bunuel movies, but it certainly won't be my last. It was great and left me wanting to watch it again.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.