Sunday, October 2, 2011

50/50

Cancer has always been a touchy subject. Millions of people have either lost their lives or a family member to it. (I lost an uncle to it last year.)

Of course, movies revolving around cancer are usually the ones you find on Lifetime that have the character stricken with the disease crying for most of the movie and yelling out "Why me?" That's what makes Joseph Gordon-Levitt in 50/50 stand out from the rest. He accepts the news of having a rare form of spinal cancer, works in his chemotherapy treatments and therapy sessions, and goes on with his usual routine. Of course, everyone else doesn't take the news so easily. (His mother's (Anjelica Huston) response: "I'm moving in.")

Another factor that makes 50/50 stand out is that it's a comedy. Now you're probably thinking a comedy about cancer sounds like the worst idea ever, but allow me to explain. It has the right balance of comedy and drama, not overdoing either one. Only a few movies can pull that off; 50/50 is one of them.

50/50 is one of this year's best. Instead of being tasteless, it has a heart. I would be happy if Gordon-Levitt and Anna Kendrick got recognized for their work. Oh, and just as a warning, you might cry from this, either from laughter, tears or both.

My Rating: *****

6 comments:

  1. Great review. I agree completely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mixing humor and painful subject matter is, naturally, very difficult. The beauty of this movie is that it does so with ease, especially with such good actors in these roles as well. Good review. Check out my review when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been hearing some good things about this flick. Looking forward to check this out in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, I really think I am the only LAMB who didn't like this flick. Hated Rogen, thought the script was misguided and the direction lacking.

    JGL, Kendrick and Huston were all superb though.

    An average flick for me. Which doesn't make me appreciate your review any less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I enjoyed this movie a lot because it seemed very believable to me, and I could really relate to each of the characters, even when they did the "wrong" thing to console him at any given moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I loved this as well, I'm glad to see so many other people do too. I hope it gets some nods.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.