Monday, August 15, 2011

La Strada

Foreign movies are an acquired taste. It's mainly for those who don't mind reading subtitles when they watch a movie.

As for me, I'm half and half. I do like foreign movies, but only those done by certain directors (Kurosawa, Visconti). And if you're wondering, yes, Fellini is one of them. His sense of imagery makes him stand out from the rest.

The two leads of La Strada, Giulietta Masina and Anthony Quinn, give excellent performances. Masina represents one's innocence where as Quinn is presented as the brutality of man. There is also a certain charm to Masina that makes us like her immediately, while there is a certain aloofness to Quinn that makes us dislike him.

There are so many things of La Strada that I like outside of the performances and Fellini's imagery. The main thing is Nino Rota's haunting score. Just a few notes and I get chills. The other thing is those final two shots of Quinn. If this isn't good filmmaking, I don't know what is.

My Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.