Monday, December 20, 2010

Garden State

I still find it weird that indie movies are always focusing on "close to home" subjects (death in the family, marriage, divorce, drug addiction, etc.). Maybe that's why nobody really watches them; they hit too close to home.

Andrew Largeman (Zach Braff) is a semi-successful TV actor who returns home for his mother's funeral. He meets Sam (Natalie Portman), a girl who's everything Andrew isn't.

I liked Garden State, but it reminded me of Scrubs a bit (yeah, I've watched it). I like the performances from Portman and Peter Sarsgaard. As for Braff, he was good but again he reminded me of Scrubs. I thought that Garden State was a little too quirky for my tastes (this is coming from an admirer of Tim Burton and Wes Anderson). But still, I enjoyed it.

My Rating: ****

1 comment:

  1. I adored this movie, a fully fledged fan of Scrubs - even the inferior later years. Something about Braff's debut clicked with me and I don't mind admiting that by the end of the film there was something in my eye and I long for a sequel (never gonna happen) just to see what all those quirky characters are up to now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.