Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

The main reason that Steven Spielberg made Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was "to apologize for the second one". I don't blame him; Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was pushing it for violence. Last Crusade, however, didn't.

Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) discovers the history of a biblical artifact called "the Holy Grail". He is also informed that his father Henry Jones (Sean Connery), who was also looking for the Holy Grail, is missing. Indy has to find his father. However, he will become involved in the search of the Holy Grail along with his father, as well as fighting the Nazis to reach it.

There's something on the levels of awesome and brilliance with the casting of Connery as Indy's dad. I mean, you got the original James Bond, for crying out loud. Anyway, back to what I was saying. Last Crusade has the same amount of action Raiders of the Lost Ark has and none of the violence Temple of Doom has. I'm sure you're of the "threequel curse" (notable entries include The Godfather Part III and Spider-Man 3). Thankfully, Last Crusade doesn't fall victim to it.

My Rating: ****1/2

2 comments:

  1. loved connery in this, and is one of my favourite IJ out of all of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Last Crusade. Sometimes I think I like it just as much as I liked Raiders. They do up the comedy in this one but it worked so well in the movie. A lot of the dialog seemed like it was an homage to '30s and 40s screwball comedies. It was just really quick and clever most of the time.

    Also, I was really into Indiana Jones when I was growing up. I used to make my parents rent Raiders of the Lost Ark all the time. The Last Crusade was the first Indiana Jones movie I got to see in the theater, so it will always have special meaning for me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.