Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bull Durham

I don't normally watch a lot of sports movies. And if I do, it's focusing on one of two sports: baseball (Fields of Dreams, The Natural, Bull Durham) or boxing (Rocky, Million Dollar Baby, Raging Bull), neither of which I follow in real life.


"Nuke" LaLoosh (Tim Robbins) is a promising pitcher for the Durham Bulls that has "a million dollar arm but a five-cent head". Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon), a small-town groupie, starts a relationship with Nuke. But as time goes on, Annie finds herself more drawn to "Crash" Davis (Kevin Costner), the team's catcher.


Like I said in the intro, I'm not a baseball fan. But I managed to like Bull Durham. It has the right mix of comedy, sports and romance. This is the baseball movie that doesn't focus on baseball that much.

My Rating: ****

2 comments:

  1. My favourite baseball movie. But you're right - it's character focused and it does it in a more natural way than say For Love of the Game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once upon a time, I could recite Crash's speech about what he believes at the drop of a hat...now I sorta fumble my way through it.

    Pity, because I do believe in much of what Crash believes in.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.